Thursday, August 28, 2008

Enter Guerney

I sat silently on the street corner, hoping that could be just a simple afternoon. My glasses would be ready for me in a few days, but I didn’t really care. I didn’t want to be discontent with my vision until I could change it. There was noise down the street, I could see the big faded red crane standing against the blue sky. They were trying to build something decent over there, a restaurant maybe. It wouldn’t stay decent for long though. All the people from the ghetto would raid it. Soon, it would become like eberything else in theis filthy place. There weren’t many clouds out today. Clouds make the sky better, at least I think. Big beautiful puffy white clouds brighten up every morning. I was just thinking about all different sorts of things when this little black child came running towards me. His dirty Cubs baseball cap was to big for him and hung off to the side of head. It seemed the rest of his clothes were to big for him too, but so did all the black men around here. The dumb baggy pants hanging off their butts looks so hideous.

Anywa, this little eight year old came running towards me, hiking his pants up every second. His little brown eyes stared at me intently.

“Scuse me…scuse me!” he kept yelling at me. What did he think I was, a telephone receptor? COuldn’t he leave me alone? Couldn’t the whole world? I didn’t hwant another spout like yesterday’s

“What do you want?”

“I wanna talk to ya”

“Why? I don’t even know you.”

“Cause I hear my bruthah Izzy saved you yesterday.” He smiled and plopped down next to me. Obviously, some story about me and Iz had been mixed up somewhere.

“What do you mean he saved me? He didn’t do much thank you. He just walked into my house and completely embarrassed me, that’s all. He in no way saved me, especially considering there was nothing to save me from”

“Welll…that’s not what I heard.” I didn’t appreciate his know it all tone…Who does he think he is to be able to tell me what I saw and what he didn’t?

“Who did you hear it from, Millie Motormouth?”

“Nah, I don’t know any Millie’s. Nobody’s named Millie no more.”

“ It was a joke pal.” I looked at him a second and then rolled my eyes. “Wait one alliterated minute…I didn’t know Izzy had a brother…who are you?”

“I’m Guerney. Kinda like worthy cept with a guh at the beginning stead of a dubyou, and an ‘n’ stead of the ‘th.’

“Right…” I sighed. Like I needed more little kids breathing down my neck. Baby sitting was hard enough. None of them were as cute and little as Guerney though, I must admit.

“You bored?” he declared rather loudly, out of the blue.

“Um…sure. That is if you eliminate this most thrilling conversation we’re having…”
“Well, ya wanna go down to the creek? Most people say it’s real pretty down there.” I was about to reject his offer, when I realized I had no idea what he was talking about.

“What creek? I didn’t know there was a creek around here…”

“Yeyah. It’s down by the playground. Here I’ll show it to…”

“No, no. It’s alright. I’m not really in the mood.”

“Your not in the mood for the creek? Izzy says you love those types of things. I’m just tryin’ to be nice.”

“How in the world would Iz know what I like. I’ve spoken to him twice in my life.” I asked Guerney a little harshly, and he responded by shrinking back a little.

“I dunno, I guess he just gigured it out.”

And with that, he jumped up and ran off.

No comments: